A gift for my new neighbor



I have just completed a personal gift to my new little neighbor, Katya. Made from a vintage mother of pearl spoon, vintage mother of pearl button, 9kt yellow gold and an amethyst (her birthstone).


I find it amazing that a shell could be big enough or thick enough to make cutlery from it. By removing the outer layer of certain shells an iridescent shimmering lining is revealed known as the Mother of Pearl (so named as it is used to seed cultured pearl). This spectacular lining together with its ability to be easily carved makes mother of pearl popular in the making of jewelry, ornaments and inlays.


Mother-of-pearl is ideal for serving caviar because, unlike sterling or stainless, it does not affect the caviar's fragile flavor.


I doubt Katya will be eating caviar any time soon but she'll be well prepared with this spoon.


Cheers

Comments

Popular Posts